On April 3, we received the news that we had achieved gold-star status in the PA Forward Star Program, sponsored by the Pennsylvania Library Association.
PA Forward acknowledges libraries for the work they do to help residents improve their overall quality of life by integrating five key literacies into their events and programs:
- Basic Literacy: We envision a Pennsylvania with one of the highest literacy rates in the country, a trained and skilled workforce, and a growing economy, tax base, and population.
- Information Literacy: We envision a Pennsylvania where citizens know how to use online resources and current technology to improve their education, to enhance their job skills, and to fully participate in a digital society.
- Civic & Social Literacy: We envision a Pennsylvania where citizens have the knowledge and skills they need to improve their lives, to participate and contribute effectively to their communities, and to connect with one another through discourse.
- Health Literacy: We envision a Pennsylvania with active citizens able to manage their own and their family’s well-being, empowered to be effective partners with their healthcare providers, and living longer, more productive lives.
- Financial Literacy: We envision a Pennsylvania where citizens are informed consumers and individuals, small businesses, and organizations contribute to the economic vitality of their community through innovation, entrepreneurship, and economic development.